Friday, September 17

Flash Fuck Me, Baby - contest

So one of my favorite authors (she's also an editor), Alison Tyler, hosted a contest for flash fiction.  There is no hard and fast definition for flash fiction, but basically it is a snipet of fiction, a very-short story or part of a story.  It can range from a certain number of characters (like Twitter's limit of 140) to a couple hundred or thousand words.

In this case, Ms. Tyler asked authors (anyone could enter) to annonymously write 100-words of flash fiction.  The contest would end on Sept. 15 and she would let us know who won the prizes. 

I was blown away with all of the entries, and of course, had to enter myself.  I wrote "My Favorite Story."  I told manly man I was definitely not going to win anything with all the other fabulous entries out there.  To which in true loving he replied, "Quit putting your writing down.  So, it's not perfect, it'll get better the more you do it." I do tend to put my writing down, but some of the flash fiction entered was truly great, and definitely better than mine.  There I go again.

Ms. Tyler announced yesterday that she was also blown away and instead of a readers poll (there were so many entries and some authors didn't title their stories), she was going to feature each author on her blog (which I am super excited about).  We each also won a copy of one of her short-short collections and a chance to be "involved" with the new book she is working on (also a real honor for any writer).

Will I get too be "involved" in her book?  I don't know, but it was a truly fun experience to even get to enter one of her contests.  And I look forward to reading my prize.  :P

Take care,

Jane

0 comments:

Post a Comment