Monday, September 20

Chapters vs. Postings

So, if you’ve read my “About Me” section you know that I post my stories on Literotica under the username hotbabydoll.  My first post was the first chapter in a story I was excited to share.  Perhaps a little too excited.  I basically wrote that first section in an afternoon and wanted to share it so badly I couldn’t wait to finish the whole thing before I submitted it for the site.    
I received great feedback and a ton of people read it, close to 15,000, with in the first week.  I only received a few votes, around 40 or so, with those first thousand viewers.  I’m not sure why, but I expected a lot more votes.  I mean, 15,000 people read it and only 40 votes?  That’s less than a half percent on average. 
I recently posted the second installment and now close to 25,000 people have read the first installment and somewhere around 13,000 for the second.  I currently have a “hot” rating on the first chapter with a score of 4.56 (out of 5) and a 4.34 on the second.
If only 13,000 people have read the second installment that’s close to half of the people who have read the first.  If I had posted them together, then more people would have read the full story.  Now, however, some people out there missed out on the full experience I was trying to give. 
I know when I read a story on the site, I often have multiple chapters (postings) to read and I’m rarely left hanging.  In my rush when I submitted chapter one, I didn’t think this through.  I didn’t fully comprehend (because I didn't think about it) that when the readers finish chapter 1 they vote or not, and move on to the next chapter.  My story wouldn’t immediately have a next chapter posted.   There is no way to “tag” a story to come back to (not that I know of anyway), so if the full story is not there to read all at once, the second part tends to get over looked when it finally is posted.  I wasn’t left hanging because I was new to the site and the current authors had already had time to post several of their chapters, but because I was new to the site, my readers would be left waiting.
I’m not sure if I’ll submit a story in one full submission or break it into chapters to post all at the same time, but I don’t think I’ll post another story that isn’t complete.  Doing so, in my short experience, leaves a lot to be desired.
Lesson learned.
Take care,
Jane

0 comments:

Post a Comment